Monday, 3 December 2012

The back story - January 2009

I'd been trying to conceive since September 2008.  I had had a plan that I would be pregnant before Christmas.  I mean 3 months is heaps of time, right??

 

I was 24 and a Kindy teacher. I've wanted children since I was 16, so babies were always my plan.

My husband was 31 and had never shown any interest in babies, other than that he knew he wanted them one day.

So back in September, he came home from work one day with the bad news that he hadn't gotten a promotion. I was pissed on his behalf. I couldn't believe that they weren't recognising how amazing a man he was and how talented he was.

But he turned to me and said "I was less disappointed about not getting this promotion than I was happy about the fact that we can now start a family. I've been thinking about it, and I reckon we can be pregnant before Christmas."

OMG! Firstly, that's the most roundabout way to say you're ready to have kids, that I've EVER heard.

Secondly, he'd been thinking about it!! Where did that come from??

And third, he was ambitious. I'd been on the pill for 5 years, so to be pregant within 3 months was some seriously positive thinking. But I have to confess, that while I was aware that it can take longer than that, and that people try for years, etc, I subconsciously thought the same thing. So I told him he was silly, but I was prepared to be pregnant straight away.

So I went to the GP and she said no probs, don't stress and come back if you're not pregnant by NEXT Christmas. So that was the extent of my professional advice. She gave me a sample of Elevit and a photocopy about menstruation, and sent me on my merry way. I asked about ovulation testing and she said don't worry about it just go with what's natural and you'll be pregnant soon enough.

So I really didn't know what I was doing but was not too worried. My family was all ridiculously fertile and so Christmas was the fingers crossed wish and hope and quiet plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment